August 18, 2022
Discovery - Extension - Education


  Through a combination of research, teaching and outreach, students leave with a solid background in any one of four major thrust areas: Genetic Improvement of Economic Crops, Cropping Systems and Plant Nutrition, Environmental Soils and Landscape Processes, and Turf and the Urban Environment.

Graduate Studies

International Applicants

DEADLINE for Applications:

Fall April 15
Spring September 15
Summer February 15

1.  Admission forms to graduate school are now available on-line.  An on-line application can be obtained by clicking on the Graduate School icon below.

Click Here to obtain An electronic on-line Purdue University Graduate School application, Letter of Support forms, and request for transcript

Your application package to the Department of Agronomy is complete once all the following information has been received. 

All official documents must be in English language, or they must be in the native language AND accompanied by an official translation.

    a.  Graduate school application to Department of Agronomy.

    b.  Privacy Act Release form.

    c.   Official transcripts of grades from each college or university at which you matriculated, which are to be sent to Chairman, Graduate Committee by the Registrar(s) of the respective university or universities.

    d.  Three letters of recommendation.

    e.  Statement of Purpose.

    f.  A nonrefundable fee of $55 (drawn on U.S. funds through a U.S. bank) is required for application for graduate study at Purdue University. It is University policy that no action be taken on your application until the fee is received. If you have a previous graduate record at Purdue, you are not required to pay an application fee.

    g.   Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (test results should be requested from E.T.S.  including both institution [R1631] and department [0104 ] codes).

    h. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores if you are applying from abroad (A minimum TOEFL score of 550 will be required for admission to Purdue University Graduate School for all non-native speakers of English, effective for the fall semester of 1990. Test results [institution code 1631] should be requested to be sent from E.T.S. to Purdue University).

     i. TWE (Test of Written English) scores if you are applying from abroad (A TWE score of five or above (scale: 1=low, 6=high) will be evidence of acceptable proficiency in English composition. Students who do not submit TWE scores with their application or students scoring less than five on the TWE will be referred by the Graduate School to the Office or Writing Review for further evaluation of their proficiency in English composition).

2. Once your completed application (including test scores) has been received by the Department of Agronomy, the departmental Graduate Committee will review and act on your application. Allow approximately two months, after your application is completed, for a decision on recommendation for admittance and availability of a graduate research assistantship.

More importantly, if you wish to be considered for an assistantship or fellowship, contact the faculty member with whom you are most interested in working.  They will be able to tell you whether or not they have the funds to support you.  If you will be independently supported, contact them anyway to get an idea of what they are working on and if they would be willing to work with you.

Visas for International Applicants

Applicants from outside the United States should not apply for your visa or make travel plans until you receive a formal letter of admission from the Graduate School and your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or IAP-66, which you need in order to apply for a visa) from the Office of International Students and Scholars. These papers will be sent to you as soon as all admission procedures are completed.

If you are an international student entering from within the U.S. and are transferring to Purdue University from another institution in the United States, certain transfer procedures must be completed before you come to Purdue University. Please follow instructions for completion of the "Confidential International Student Transfer Form." You will also need the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or IAP-66 form) from the Office of International Students and Scholars, Purdue University. When all admission procedures are completed, you will receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or IAP-66) from Purdue University. Take it to the international office at your present institution to obtain the necessary transfer approval. Failure to follow these steps could result in your ineligibility to enroll at Purdue University.